The Software testing community experienced an exciting year of 2017 with many trends taking shape. Applications of artificial intelligence (AI) and automation, continuing trend in adoption of DevOps, increasing test automation, shortening release schedules, and the lack of time for testing. The prevailing state of software testing is getting more challenging with every day passing. With the huge demand for high-quality products within a short time span, the role of testing has grown beyond just another process. Not a single software product could be released without its quality testing and bug fixing. The Software testing industry is always evolving and transforming to new horizons that’s why it’s better to forecast and predict such trends ahead of everyone. This article makes bold predictions for Software Testing trends of 2018.
It’s essential for the software development and testing firms to know about the latest Software Testing trends of 2018 to achieve the expected quality. The strategies and methodologies of software testing and test management tools are in a continuous shift. The rapid technological advancements drive the testers to upgrade their skills periodically. So, here are the Top 13 Emerging Software Testing Trends of 2018 that you should pay attention to this year. Digital Transformation is disrupting the way software applications are being developed, amplifying the need for building better software testing capabilities. The patterns, methodologies, and tools for testing have evolved with the changing software testing needs.
Continuing Test Automation
Mobile Test Automation
API and Services Test Automation
Increasing Adoption of Open Source Tools
Increasing Adoption of Agile & DevOps
Demand for SDETs
9. Cloud Testing
Testers have now adopted specific approaches to test cloud-based services. Here, real web traffic is used to test the web based apps. It also verifies functions like redundancy and performance scalability.
10.Digital Testing2018 is ready to witness an era of Digital Transformation. Exposure to digital technologies have made organizations to re-orient their processes, use tools and resources for digital testing that can deliver a much better customer experience. The digital strategy of software organizations must involve optimizing functional testing across all channels.
11.Big Data TestingBig Data are a collection of large data-sets that cannot be processed using manual computing techniques. Testing of these data-sets involves different tools, techniques and frameworks etc. QA teams need a very strong strategy for Big Data Testing because it requires high-grade analytical tools and frameworks, along with superior techniques and is an area that is expected to grow big in the very near future. In 2018, Testers should equip themselves accordingly to the upcoming developments in Big Data to adapt their testing skills accordingly.
12. Artificial Intelligence & Machine LearningArtificial Intelligence and Machine Learning techniques have been applied to Software development to improve the productivity of project teams and quality of software. Given recent advancements and growing applications of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, there will be more intelligent Test automation technologies and tools. These approaches are being used in various processes of the software testing mechanisms like test sequence generation, quantification of quality, automation of testing and checking reliability of the system. They would also bring advancements to formulating test scenarios, predicting application behaviors, and predicting areas and levels of test. Intelligent testing tools will need to offer smart analytics to help better diagnose faults and visualize test results and overall product quality using multi-source data.
13. The Internet of Things ConquestThe Internet of Things technology is becoming the Optimus Prime of all others. Software and applications that connect hardware to the Internet or with each other bring great concerns for the IoT project QA team. In 2018, need for IoT Testing will rise astonishingly. Any IoT product needs to be tested for its functionality, reliability, and effectiveness. The ubiquitous usage of smartphones, smartwatches, tablets, and other related products is indicating that the need for IoT Testing will come more than ever before. All devices under IoT requires Internet connectivity and, therefore, are vulnerable to security risks. According to a study by HP, 70% of devices in IoT are prone to security risks. It is therefore necessary to perform IoT testing on them.
ConclusionQA department is one of the most important ones that helps define the weak points of apps and websites before their launch. Testing itself is an essential stage of software development where all the QA initiatives save developers’ time and company’s money by finding problems or bugs fast and effectively. Overcoming these Software Testing Trends of 2018 will help testers to move beyond the mundane testing activity and leapfrog into a strategic position in the overall software development cycle. So, Dear Testers, it’s about time you pull up your socks and gear up to learn newest happenings waiting to transform the world of Quality Assurance.
BECOME IOS SOFTWARE TEST ENGINEER WITH CODEFITNESS!Sign up to The Ultimate Mobile Test Automation Bootcamp (10 seats left)
- We are not typical bootcamp. We teach through day-to-day work tasks using Agile approach. From day one you will start automating real use cases of a real startup-like iOS app. Thus you will gain real experience.
- You will learn programming via hands-on task completion — focusing you on topics that are necessary to complete your task
- You will work in pair just like at real-world job. Pair programming is proven to be very effective and used heavily industry wide.
- You will experience best software development practices:
- Each test case code will be committed to common GitHub repository via PullRequest. We will teach everything about Git and GitHub from scratch
- Upon successful code review and merge, your test code will be executed on Jenkins — your work will be run along with existing tests thus will be checked if your newly automated test is not breaking existing tests. This practice is called pre-merged testing and in recent years has become industry standard
- We will start each session with methodical approach on how to solve most asked Interview Programming problems thus will prepare you for coding interview screening